[Sticky] Introductions and Aspirations  

Page 1 / 3 Next
  RSS
 Ian
(@ian)
Reputable Member Admin

To help me help you get the best out of this Course, it would be really useful if you could just give a couple of lines about why you chose this course and what you 'need' to get out if it.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2018 1:12 pm
(@ferdi50)
New Member Member

Thanks Ian

My understanding is that Families are really the 'backbone' of Revit in a certain way. The models that you build are made up of Families so it stands to reason that if you know and understand how to build a Family your the use of the program will be so much more meaningful. Like if you can create your own door or component family or even understand how to edit an existing family. I have a project with shaped IPE steel roof beams but I don't know how to edit them to get the required design that fits my project and which is one of the main design features of this project.

Ferdi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2018 1:45 pm Ian liked
 Ian
(@ian)
Reputable Member Admin

Many thanks for kicking things off Ferdi! You are spot on- Revit Families are at the heart of Revit and BIM. You learn so much about Revit in general once you delve into the dark world of the Family Editor! Glad to have you on board with this Course ūüôā

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2018 1:50 pm
(@erin-crowden)
New Member Member

I'm an architect working on highly detailed and resolved residential projects (for large budgets) and need to fully understand how to create families including all internal elements for joinery items. The firm I am with has just changed over to Revit so all of our studio families are still under construction - it would be really handy if I can get a full understanding of how to make them easily customisable so they can be transferred and adapted to each project.

Thanks,

Erin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2018 12:47 am
(@aembarba)
New Member Member

Hi Ian, I'm an Engineering Surveyor working for the Survey department of a design company. I very frequently get involved in the production of 3D Models of existing sites out of laser scanning and topographical data. Those models usually include site detail as well as buildings (as built). I've been using Revit 'the hard way' for some time and thought this was a perfect opportunity to go over the basics again and hopefully start doing things 'the right way'.

Having spent the last few weeks enrolled on 'The Complete Beginner's Guide to Revit Architecture' course, and having checked the quality of your materials, I decided carry on with Revit Families. I'm expecting to reach a decent level of understanding that allows me to produce my own sets of families to be used/adapted throughout the years.

Many thanks for your great work,

Alberto.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2018 10:30 am Ian liked
 Ian
(@ian)
Reputable Member Admin
Posted by: Erin Crowden

I'm an architect working on highly detailed and resolved residential projects (for large budgets) and need to fully understand how to create families including all internal elements for joinery items. The firm I am with has just changed over to Revit so all of our studio families are still under construction - it would be really handy if I can get a full understanding of how to make them easily customisable so they can be transferred and adapted to each project.

Thanks,

Erin

Thanks Erin,

It's interesting that so many practices / firms are creating their own set of families. We'll make sure we get some good discussion of joinery items as we progress.

Regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2018 4:00 pm
 Ian
(@ian)
Reputable Member Admin
Posted by: aembarba

Hi Ian, I'm an Engineering Surveyor working for the Survey department of a design company. I very frequently get involved in the production of 3D Models of existing sites out of laser scanning and topographical data. Those models usually include site detail as well as buildings (as built). I've been using Revit 'the hard way' for some time and thought this was a perfect opportunity to go over the basics again and hopefully start doing things 'the right way'.

Having spent the last few weeks enrolled on 'The Complete Beginner's Guide to Revit Architecture' course, and having checked the quality of your materials, I decided carry on with Revit Families. I'm expecting to reach a decent level of understanding that allows me to produce my own sets of families to be used/adapted throughout the years.

Many thanks for your great work,

Alberto.

Thanks Alberto,

So pleased the Beginners Course has been of use to you. In your role (in creating the existing context for others to work with) I'm sure the ability to create your own families will be absolutely essential. You'll come across all somrts of components that will eed to be represented in the "Existing" BIM.

Regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2018 4:02 pm
(@sporter71)
New Member Member

Hi Ian,

I have been doing my mini storage building designs in Autocad LT.  I have been working through the beginner course learning Revit LT.  I use steel c-purlin and z-purling and channels in my construction as well as various types of sheet metal.  I want to be able to create my own or modify existing components to build out my projects and generate material schedules of these components.  Thank you for all the helpful work you have done already.

Stephen Porter

Project Developer

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2018 6:07 pm Ian liked
 Ian
(@ian)
Reputable Member Admin
Posted by: sporter71

Hi Ian,

I have been doing my mini storage building designs in Autocad LT.  I have been working through the beginner course learning Revit LT.  I use steel c-purlin and z-purling and channels in my construction as well as various types of sheet metal.  I want to be able to create my own or modify existing components to build out my projects and generate material schedules of these components.  Thank you for all the helpful work you have done already.

Stephen Porter

Project Developer

Many thanks Stephen,

How are you finding Revit LT? I use it myself. It's INCREDIBLE value compared to the cost of "full" Revit.

Are you still using AutoCAD in parallel or have you moved over to solely Revit?

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2018 9:27 pm
(@teky1389)
New Member Member

Aloha!

I'm an architect who's been using Revit for years, I've always used existing families though, because I didn't really understand the fundamental elements of creating families from scratch, especially parameters and constraints. I recently moved to a firm that currently uses AutoCAD with Sketchup but is considering a switch to Revit. I suspect I'll end up doing most of the training for our staff as that transition happens and I want to be really confident in my abilities across the board. At the end, I'd like to be able to create a families with multiple adaptable components. For example: a jalousie window family that would let me change the window height/width, interior/exterior frame parameters, louver width/thickness/material and the number of louvers, then would array them properly so they don't intersect with the frame. That single family could save us so much time on future projects.

I'm looking forward to filling a big gap in my Revit knowledge- mahalo for all the work!

- Michelle

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2018 11:43 pm Ian liked
(@malcolm-thompsonc-bgroup-co-uk)

Hi Ian

I am fairly new to Revit , and have been working my way through the beginners course slowly over the past couple of months. We work with lots of different Sanitary ware supplier, whose goods are bolted onto our product. I have been slowly coming to understand the use and creating families, which I have started to  build with many of the Perimeters I need for them to adapt from project to project. There are a couple of issues that I would like to cover if possible, many of our items require apertures into walls, and would like to know how this is achieved.  I have also noted that when I am creating a Families , or trying to, the recommended size should up to around 700 KBs max, some that I am creating are around around  1 to 2.5 MB's. It would be good to know what increases the family size the most. Hope this makes sense. 

Regards

Malcolm

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2018 4:22 pm Ian liked
(@sporter71)
New Member Member

I am still using AutoCad somewhat.  I haven't become comfortable enough with Revit to make a full stitch.  I assume that I will be able to take some of my parts drawing files into Revit Families.  The Revit LT Suite that includes both Revit LT and AutoCAD LT seems to be a great value for the money.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2018 7:57 pm Ian liked
 Ian
(@ian)
Reputable Member Admin
Posted by: sporter71

I am still using AutoCad somewhat.  I haven't become comfortable enough with Revit to make a full stitch.  I assume that I will be able to take some of my parts drawing files into Revit Families.  The Revit LT Suite that includes both Revit LT and AutoCAD LT seems to be a great value for the money.

Yes, you can bring DWG's into your Families.

I've just renewed the Revit LT Suite myself- incredible value!

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2018 10:14 am
(@banergie-sarl)

Hej,
I stumbled on Revit in 2008 when I was planning a complete renovation of our house, and I managed to finish the plans in it, however without 'grand finesse'. I have since been working on and off with it and I now believe I have a fairly good knowledgelevel. However, as self-learned I probably jumped some steps and lack probably some basic knowledge and a good methodology.
I do create families from time to time, but I'm not very confident in using parametric values, variable values and so forth. I also lack knowledge on how to best define LOD, level of development, in what detail level. What can be seen is that even widespread BIM-providers create really badly constructed families for their client, resulting in super-heavy families, taking forever to update when using them in a project.
My hopes for this course is to be able to create, not always the BEST quality of families, but rather the RIGHT quality, as in adapted for the task at hand.
i.e. when using real CAD-profiles in the sweeps etc. and when it's unnecessary, how to define where these different LODs 'activates' etc.

Hans Nyström
- dev engineer, selfproclaimed architect

PS.
Now working as an energy expert in my own sàrl (=Ltd) I'm tying togethter Revit and my energy calculation software more and more and for that that I'm trying to refine my methods of defining the volumes for exportation vi GbXML, but that's another subject. I do have also architect mandates.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2018 5:37 pm Ian liked
(@mmaycock)

Hi Ian, I am looking forward to the course ...  I am a new user of Revit...about 60%  through your beginners course and with that and some other help, have completed two home designs and working on another two. Even though there are several BIM objects available, I always have the need to design something specific to the project and since "families" form the heart of Revit,  I must be proficient in this area if I am to get the real benefits of Revit.

I am glad that this course is being offered ...  can't wait to start.

Michael

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2018 12:30 am Ian liked
Page 1 / 3 Next
Share: