[Sticky] Feedback and Suggestions  

RSS
 Ian
(@ian)
Reputable Member Admin

Please use this Thread for any feedback, comments, suggestions, etc; you have with regards The Complete Guide to Creating Autodesk Revit Families Course

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2018 4:05 pm
 Mike
(@mleinback)

Ian--

I've been using Revit for more than 10 years and have generally used families/components that were created by others.  I have struggled thru the process of editing them when necessary, but it is just that.......a struggle.  On a very rare occasion, I will attempt to create a family or component from scratch, but it is very much a trial and error process.  Usually, the resulting family is very limited in terms of flexibility.

It is my hope to be able to create families that can be placed and then adjusted in various ways.  For example, I would like to create a bi-level counter that can be stretched in all directions, maybe with the option of checking a box to add a sink or cooking surface.   The counter might be a straight run, an L-shape, or with 1 or 2 legs running at an (adjustable) angle. 

Thanks,

Mike

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2018 5:09 pm
(@sporter71)
New Member Member

What if you accidentally clicked the completed the course button?  Asking for a "friend".  Just kidding.  Too many windows open and clicking around.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/03/2018 11:03 pm Ian liked
 Ian
(@ian)
Reputable Member Admin
Posted by: sporter71

What if you accidentally clicked the completed the course button?  Asking for a "friend".  Just kidding.  Too many windows open and clicking around.

No worries at all! The Course will be reset afresh next week, for everyone! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2018 2:13 pm sporter71 liked
(@steve-ellis)
New Member Member

Ian,

I notice you recommend continually checking instance parameters as you create them so they flex as one wishes them to! Can you cover the best and quickest ways to do this. Loading the family into a project seems to take a lot of time.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2018 12:08 pm Ian liked
 Ian
(@ian)
Reputable Member Admin
Posted by: Steve Ellis

Ian,

I notice you recommend continually checking instance parameters as you create them so they flex as one wishes them to! Can you cover the best and quickest ways to do this. Loading the family into a project seems to take a lot of time.

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Yes, that's going to come up later this week in a dedicated Unit. Basically, you are going to be creating a few different "Types" and then swap those types out in the family editor.

Many thanks ,

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2018 10:47 am
(@adt2612)

Ian

With Module 2 Unit 2 - Creating a Parametric Framework, Is there supposed to be any content displayed as per all the previous modules or only the link to Download the PDF?

Is there any way to include a screenshot to these forum posts?

Regards

Andrew

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2018 10:02 pm Ian liked
 Ian
(@ian)
Reputable Member Admin
Posted by: Andrew

Ian

With Module 2 Unit 2 - Creating a Parametric Framework, Is there supposed to be any content displayed as per all the previous modules or only the link to Download the PDF?

Is there any way to include a screenshot to these forum posts?

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Apologies for the confusion- no, there's no webpage content for that Unit. 

I am going to remove the webpage content for the other Unit's to date, for the following reason:-

-On refelction- there doesn't seem any value to me in having the same content on the webpage as in the PDF. You can view the PDF online just be clicking on the link PLUS you can download it and have your copy.

-It is quite a lot of extra work to copy all; the material from the desktop publishing software into Wordpress, to have it on a webpage as well- for no tangible benefit

-It will allow me to make update, revsions and enhancements to the material MUCH more easily- as I am doing it JUST in the DTP software and then simply uploading the new PDF to Amazon's S3 server- and then change the link on the Unit's webpage- rather than having to update the content at Wordpress.

My intuition is that (going forward) more of my coures will be presented just by PDF and videos- this will make it easier for me to produce (hence, I can get onto more topics more quickly) and give you guys more flexibility- ie read the PDF online, donwload it, etc.

What do you guys think? ALWAYS very welcoming to feedback and constructive criticism.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2018 11:35 am
Share: