Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Wall openings visibility

Tony Walker

Hi,

I have demolished a door and a window and created two wall openings through.  To try and remove the thin lines where the opening is formed I have hidden the opening in view, however the lines still appear.  I have two floor constructions, the internal main building floor is timber and the extension is concrete.  I want to hide the lines where the openings are situated but am struggling to get the correct settings,  I have also tried hiding common lines in walls, common, slab and interior lines in floors in the visibility settings but the lines still appear.

One solution I thought was to put a masking region over the lines but then the edges of the masking region are visible.

Can anyone assist as Im sure I have seen revit drawings where the lines are not shown across the wall openings. 

Thanks 

Topic starter Posted : 04/07/2021 9:34 am
BIMscape liked
BIMscape
Member Admin

Hi Tony,

Does the wall opening extend down below the floor level- ie the floor slab run through the opening?

If you did use a masking region (not saying that this is the preferred solution) but you just need to choose "Invisible lines" as the line style for the boundary. Then when you go ahead and click the Green Tick, you do not see the boundary of the mask itself.

Hope this helps. If it's still not working out, I can probably do a quick video on this for you.

Please let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/07/2021 10:26 pm
Tony Walker

Hi Ian,

I have set both wall openings to be -60 base offset from the ground level and I get results as attached below.  Both openings have the same properties of

Top offset 0

Base offset - 60

unconnected height 2133.6

Base constraint Ground 

Top constraint unconnected

The extension floor is also a different construction to the main building floor, both wall openings are also not hidden in view and the results are as the attachment.  I have also extended the extension floor through into the openings abutting the construction of the main building floor.

The left hand openings now shows 1 line across (which I assume is the edge of the differing floor slabs, however the second opening has 2 lines across even though the opening has the same properties - is this an anomoly?

Is there a way I can get rid of the lines which should not be there when creating the wall openings without using masking regions with hidden lines and also is there a way to hide the edge line of any floor slabs - assuming that the single line on the left hand side opening is the slabs where the two differing constructions abut each other.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/07/2021 9:06 pm
BIMscape liked
BIMscape
Member Admin

@tonywalker280hotmail-com 

Hi Tony,

In the right hand opening, have you taken the extension floor through the thickness of the wall also?

Is the issue that the two openings are behaving differently with regards how they are being displayed?  The one of the left looks correct, from what you have described.

Are the two lines on the right hand opening, the edge of each floor element?

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2021 5:08 pm
Tony Walker

@iannichols_sxa5jqu0 

Hi Ian,

Yes the right hand opening is drawn as the left hand opening with the extension floor through the thickness of the wall.

To find out if it is the floor opening I have now hidden in view the wall openings by element - When clicking the LHS lower line in the wall opening this shows as the floor of the extension and highlights the full extension floor in blue, however even though I have drawn it though the RHS opening the floor does not highlight in that area even though the extension floor has been taken through the thickness of the wall to that opening. It appears that the 2nd upper line on the RHS opening is part of the wall, even though that line is not showing on the RHS opening. 

I have not touched the display settings so do not know why this is doing this.  The wall cut out appears to be over the floor even though I have set it as the RHS opening to be -60 below the ground level.  When I click and hover over the top line in the RHS opening it shows it to be part of the basic wall and connected to it

Any ideas or is it a glitch.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/07/2021 6:58 am
BIMscape liked
BIMscape
Member Admin

@tonywalker280hotmail-com 

Hi Tony,

I am really intrigued by this now!

Are you able to send me the Revit file and I'll take a look. I may then just do a quick video to explain what I have found.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2021 10:54 am
Tony Walker

Hi Ian,

I have emailed you across the revit file for you to look at.

tony

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/07/2021 6:41 pm
BIMscape liked
BIMscape
Member Admin
Posted by: @tonywalker280hotmail-com

Hi Ian,

I have emailed you across the revit file for you to look at.

tony

Hi Tony,

Go the Revit file- many thanks.

Will take a look today and get back on touch via this thread.

Kind regareds,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/07/2021 11:56 am
BIMscape
Member Admin

Hi Tony,

I've looked at this got it to work. You seem to have a small piece of rogue wall embedded in the problematic Opening.

Open the 3D View and use a Section Box so that you can see inside the wall in question. You'll see that there is brickwork up to a certain height- this is what you are seeing in plan.

Hover over the top of the opening, in the 3D view- you'll be able to pick the piece of wall. Go ahead and delete it- it will warn you you need to delete it's host. Go ahead. The opening will be removed.

Now just copy the other opening across, in a plan view. And it's then all good.

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/07/2021 12:47 pm