Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Design Options

Tony Walker

When doing design options, what if your design option involves a new extension along with some demoltion work to the existing building as part of the option.

I have modelled my existing in the existing phase.

I have set up Design Options and am drawing the first part of the extension with the phase filer on show complete and phase set to new construction and am working in Option 1 (Primary) of Design options,  however the existing is greyed out and I cannot click on any walls or windows to demolish the walls as part of the Design option.

Is there a way around this or a video on how you set this instance up, as Im sure Design options just won't be for new builds but for existing buildings too, where some demo may be needed.

Thanks

Topic starter Posted : 09/05/2021 9:25 pm
BIMscape liked
BIMscape
Member Admin

Hi Tony,

Yes, you are right. There are many instances where you will want to use Design Options on building that are being refurbished.

However, the 'demolition' of elements (ie the use of their Phase parameters) is not related to Design Options.

Design Options really are for things that are being created.

To get round this and to do what you are looking to do, I think you need to do something along the lines of:

As part of your existing model, include the wall (which has the elements to be demolished in one option. And then in the alternative Option, put another wall in- this time without a demolished door / window, etc.

So as you flick between options- it will show either Wall A or Wall B. You can then now use Phases (independently of Design Options) to Demolish the Window in Wall A (ie Option 1) but not the Window in Wall B (which sits in Option 2)

Does this make sense?

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2021 4:51 pm
Tony Walker

Thanks Ian,

I think it makes sense I guess you would model the two walls on top of each other, - would revit allow this without an error message.

As the existing walls under design option 1 and 2 are greyed out so you cannot model them, I guess the wall that you want to demolish and that you have modelled over will be in new construction phase so you can edit the wall, as I noticed that all existing phase walls are greyed out and revit will not let you edit them under design options.

Thanks

Tony

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/05/2021 7:39 am
BIMscape liked
BIMscape
Member Admin

@tonywalker280hotmail-com

When you are modeling the existing- just leave out the wall in question.

The  when you create your Design Options-:-

Create the wall in Option 1- any windows, doors, etc.

Now Switch to Option 2- when you do so, the Wall in Option 1 will not be visible. So you can go ahead and create a wall in this Option, in the same place- again, add the hosted components as required.

So you can now switch between optionS and change Phase Created / Phase Demolished for the respective windows, etc.

When you have decided which Option you want to run with- you can always use the "Accept Primary" function to jettison the redundant option.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2021 12:40 pm