Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Unable to create a Toposurface

Ellie Macdonald

I am trying to create a Toposurface for my building to sit on. But each time I try to add a point, nothing appears.

Please help.

Topic starter Posted : 08/04/2021 9:23 pm
BIMscape
Member Admin
Posted by: @ellie_mac

I am trying to create a Toposurface for my building to sit on. But each time I try to add a point, nothing appears.

Please help.

What type of view are you trying to create the toposurface in? Do you have any View Templates / View Filters set?

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/04/2021 9:31 pm
Ellie Macdonald
Posted by: @iannichols_sxa5jqu0

Please help.

What type of view are you trying to create the toposurface in? Do you have any View Templates / View Filters set?

Kind regards,

Ian

I am working in Floorplan Level 0.

No view templates or filters (that I know of!)

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/04/2021 9:40 pm
Stuart Allerton

Please help.

Kind regards,

Ian

Thanks

Do you have the correct categories turned on to see the points and triangulation faces? If you are in a default Floor Plan view, they may be turned off.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2021 9:45 am
Peter Balfour

Depending on factors such as elements already placed, depth value of points and other things, I always place points when in wireframe mode. You will always see them then, they won't be hidden by something.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/04/2021 2:30 am
Ellie Macdonald
Posted by: @cadx

Please help.

Kind regards,

Ian

Thanks

Do you have the correct categories turned on to see the points and triangulation faces? If you are in a default Floor Plan view, they may be turned off.

Many thanks. This was it!

I switched to the Site Plan View and I could see all the points I had added. Ended up having to delete some duplicated ones.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/04/2021 11:19 am
Ellie Macdonald
Posted by: @peter-b

Depending on factors such as elements already placed, depth value of points and other things, I always place points when in wireframe mode. You will always see them then, they won't be hidden by something.

Thanks Peter,

I have solved it now. I don't have the correct categories switched on, to show the toposurface as I was creating it.

I will definitely try your tip re wireframe mode. When I have tried Wireframe mode in the past, I find it very confusing to see what is what. How do you get over this and still manage to perceive a sense of depth?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/04/2021 11:22 am
Peter Balfour

Because I know the levels I'm putting in. The points would be from a site analysis or my own dumpy level survey. The sense of depth will happen when you return from sketch mode topography. Then turn off wireframe. Important if you have something already modelled above a point you wish to place. That point will not show unless in wireframe mode when you are placing it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/04/2021 11:59 am
BIMscape
Member Admin

Because I know the levels I'm putting in. The points would be from a site analysis or my own dumpy level survey. The sense of depth will happen when you return from sketch mode topography. Then turn off wireframe. Important if you have something already modelled above a point you wish to place. That point will not show unless in wireframe mode when you are placing it.

Thanks for these tips Tony. We are going to be having some courses specifically on Revit's site / topography tools later on in the year.

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/04/2021 11:15 pm
Peter Balfour

Yeah, that would be good Ian. Lots of people are quite scared of the topo tool. The topography tool is surprisingly useful, especially when grading. I see many comments on forums about it's troubles, but I have found if you follow some basic rules and consideration around accurate point placing and numbers of them you can get down to shovel size. Especially if you 'quarantine' the area needed first by placing a control line of 0 relative points. Careful placement results in zero 'topo leakage' through contours. Very easy to make rounded berms and embankments. I'm sure your videos will be excellent.

regards

Peter

This post was modified 5 months ago by Peter Balfour
ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/04/2021 12:49 am
BIMscape liked
BIMscape
Member Admin

Yeah, that would be good Ian. Lots of people are quite scared of the topo tool. The topography tool is surprisingly useful, especially when grading. I see many comments on forums about it's troubles, but I have found if you follow some basic rules and consideration around accurate point placing and numbers of them you can get down to shovel size. Especially if you 'quarantine' the area needed first by placing a control line of 0 relative points. Careful placement results in zero 'topo leakage' through contours. Very easy to make rounded berms and embankments. I'm sure your videos will be excellent.

regards

Peter

Many thanks for this input Peter,

Once I am at a point where I'm starting to pull an itinerary together for this course- I'll share it with members for their input. Yours will obviously be invaluable, with the experience you have obviously got with this aspect of Revit.

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/04/2021 1:42 pm