Wall Intersections

Home Forums Autodesk Revit Discussion Forums Wall Intersections

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ian 1 month ago.

• Author

billy786
    Participant

Hello Ian,

I thought there may be nothing more to learning than actually making a start!

I’m however having a bit of a nightmare with wall intersections. I’ve imported a CAD file, and current tracing this in Revit. I have two wall types, a standard cavity construction with external brick facade, and another comprising stone slips applied to concrete blocks. However,i’m experiencing some issues as below;

1) i cannot get the corner trims to work as below between the respective alternate wall structures. I would like the ext brick to trim with the blockwork comprising the stone slips. I’ve tried the wall join tool in geometry to no avail.

2)on “t” intersection, i need the cavities to maintain continuous.

3)i cant get a correct alignment between the 100mm blockwork forming the internal separating wall structure, and that of the 100mm inner external wall skin. I’ve tried to use the align tool, but these are not snapping to a same linse of the skins (if that makes sense?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
    B

Further,

issue-1– Issue 1

issue-2 -issue 2

issue-3 – issue 3

Attachments:

billy786
    Participant

Issue 2 (sorry i thought i’d included in the above)

Attachments:

billy786
    Participant

Issue 1

Attachments:

Ian
    Keymaster

The trick to this is the “Layer Function Priorities” that make up the structure, in your Wall Type parameters.

I have a dedicated Unit on this in my forthcoming course. The course will launch on 2nd Jan. But I’ll try and get some pointers to you either today or tomorrow, on this forum- to help get you moving with this.

Oh, and this is only the beginning of Revit! Sooooo much to learn- that’s what makes it so interesting for me- it’s a continual journey in incremental learing and refinement. (Rant over!)

Kind regards,
    Ian

billy786
    Participant

Hello Ian,

Sorry i haven’t been in touch for a few days- i’m absolutely loving Revit at the moment and pretty much addicted having had a taste of it! Thank you for the above advice- not sure if it’s just me, but it sometimes feels harder coming from an AC background than would have been the case if this was being learnt afresh.I can now appreciate how it’s a completely different concept of working.

I’m working along with Revit on a draft project and using your forums and youtube as i go along! I attach a screen shot of my project to date (and your achievements due to the course!), hopefully will send one across once completed! it’s all down to your beginners course that I’ve even managed to get this far, so for that i’m profusely grateful.

B

The trick to this is the “Layer Function Priorities” that make up the structure, in your Wall Type parameters.

I have a dedicated Unit on this in my forthcoming course. The course will launch on 2nd Jan. But I’ll try and get some pointers to you either today or tomorrow, on this forum- to help get you moving with this.

Oh, and this is only the beginning of Revit! Sooooo much to learn- that’s what makes it so interesting for me- it’s a continual journey in incremental learing and refinement. (Rant over!)

Kind regards,
    Ian

Capture

Attachments:

billy786
    Participant

Plan (in progress)

Attachments:

Ian
    Keymaster

The project looks absolutely fantastic!

Ahhhh, the Revit Addiction!!! Yes, I’m afraid that’s a by-product you’ll have to get used to. Bad news is that it never goes away!!! The more you get into it, the more you want to push the system even further. Over 11 years for me now, and it’s worse than ever!

With regards your plan, it looks like you have a number of repeated bedroom units? These are ideal for Model Groups. You can create one of each “type” and save it as a model group. This can include the walls, doors, futures and fittings. You can then easily copy these model groups as required. Beauty is that if you need to change a spec in a room- you can edit the model group and all you rooms update accordingly. Just like Acad Blocks. Really useful for student Accommodation, hospital wards, hotel rooms, etc.

Many thanks,
    Ian

billy786
    Participant

Thanks Ian!

Yes, i found that tool once i started getting fed up of repeating the ensuite layouts!

As a matter of interest, is there a way to get the underlay to view the full wall construction below, at the moment it only seems to show an outline?

What would be useful if the full construction to include the block walls, cavity, plasterboard etc. similar to traditional layering in AC?

B

Ian
    Keymaster

Thanks Ian!

Yes, i found that tool once i started getting fed up of repeating the ensuite layouts!

As a matter of interest, is there a way to get the underlay to view the full wall construction below, at the moment it only seems to show an outline?

What would be useful if the full construction to include the block walls, cavity, plasterboard etc. similar to traditional layering in AC?

B

Unfortunately I don’t think there is. I haven’t got my laptop on me right now- but I’ll have a play aorund with it later. But yes- totally agree, I can envisage many scenarios where this would be really useful. As a workaround- you can simply drop reference planes on to the top of your layers- because theese are 3D planes, you wiol then see them in the same location when you switch to a different level. Not as slick, but gets the job done.

Kind regards,
    Ian

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.