Cannot select top rail of a railing

Home Forums Autodesk Revit Discussion Forums Revit Architecture Discussion Cannot select top rail of a railing

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ian 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

JuJitsoup
    Participant

I’ve been working through the course and am now on to the extra articles. I have built a stair and placed a railing onto it as a host. I’d like to add extensions to both ends of the handrail but Revit will simply not allow me to select the top rail on it’s own, even utilising TAB.

The project is an old (2013?) project from a previous practice which I’m working on and embellishing to learn the software. I understand there’s an issue with stairs and version types and and wondered if there was a way to get round this? The issue is noted in this post but I can’t quite figure our what the guy is suggesting as a solution.

http://tinyurl.com/gtvxc7o

I can select the top rail if I start a new project and create a stair but not with this existing project. Is there any way to solve this?

Ian
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, I;ve come across this before.

What they are saying in the article is……

At 2013, Revit introduced a new “Railing” system family- which contains the “Top Rail” sub-family.

You cannot convert the old Railing type to the new Railing type. All you can do (if you need to) is replicate / reproduce your old railing using the new Railing type. This will then give yoiu access to the Top Rail seperately.

You can have both the old railing type and the new railing type in the same project- Revit simply sees them as 2 different types of families.

So going full circle back to your question. It would appear that you have a “first generation” (ie pre 2013) Railing type in the project and that is why you cannot TAB select the Top Rail.

Hope this makes sesnse and helps?

Kind regards,
    Ian

1 user thanked author for this post.

JuJitsoup
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I’ve managed to sort is by copying in a new type of railing from another project. So simple but just just hadn’t seen the wood from the forest of Revit trees. Worked like a a charm…..and thanks for continuing to write this blog. Such a wealth of info for us who are late to the party.

Any chance of any additional intermediate/advanced courses in the future?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  Simon.

Ian
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info. I’ve managed to sort is by copying in a new type of railing from another project. So simple but just just hadn’t seen the wood from the forest of Revit trees. Worked like a a charm…..and thanks for continuing to write this blog. Such a wealth of info for us who are late to the party.

Any chance of any additional intermediate/advanced courses in the future?

You’re very welcome indeed.

YES! Many more courses coming along this year- the first of which is in the planning stage now.

Kind regards,
    Ian

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.