[Sticky] Introductions and Aspirations  

Page 3 / 3 Prev
  RSS
 Ian
(@ian)
Honorable Member Admin
Posted by: OldDog

I work in the field of structural engineering as a drafter. It didn't take long to realize, after starting to use Revit, that knowing how generate families would prove to be a very valuable skill to have. As with your other courses I look forward to the comprehensive, incremental approach you provide since family creation can be quite complex. I am eagerly awaiting the launch of this much needed course.

Russ Parker (OldDog)

Many thanks indeed Russ,

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2018 12:18 am
 Ian
(@ian)
Honorable Member Admin
Posted by: Jim Breisacher

I like Russ am an Old Dog myself, although I primarily work in Residential Remodeling, kitchen and bathrooms projects, and not engineering I need to try and create items that are very hard to find. A lot of companies are now starting to include Revit models for their products, but some of the things I need most are cabinets, appliances, doors, and windows that aren't from the major companies. Right now we use a specialized cabinet cad program, but I really want to be able to do it all in Revit. On higher end kitchen remodels, the clients want matching cabinet doors on their appliances, or the actual lighting fixture they want, or close to it. 

There are family templates, which I will try and create something, but soon throw up my hands and give up.

At any rate, knowing how to create and manipulate Revit families would be extremely beneficial

Jim Breisacher

From South Lake Tahoe, California

Thanks Jim,

Kitchen fitouts- no problem! Prime candidate for Revit Families. Create your sub-components (doors, blanking panels, etc) as seperate families and then nest them into a host family- so you can easily make different permutations without the rework. We'll be covering all this.

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2018 12:22 am
 Ian
(@ian)
Honorable Member Admin
Posted by: P

Hi Ian,

I work for an Interior Design Company that specializes in Retail and Hospitality work. We are looking into transitioning our company to be able to deal with current and future projects in Revit and to work concurrently with our present documentation format in AutoCAD. The need to build the shell of our projects in Revit seems to be outlined in all the tutorials that you present with exception of some custom doors and closures. Some suppliers do not provide these items for BIM. This is where the first part of creating custom Families that encompass these types of Architectural design features comes into play. Most of our interior work deals with custom Interior fixturing and millwork (wall or freestanding) that needs to incorporate a degree of flexibility and variation in terms of their overall dimensioning and finishes. I believe this too can be organized using Families (just like dynamic blocks in AutoCAD). We need to understand the required process in creating these Families for our use in terms of choosing the appropriate Family Model; organizing the variable sizes and applied materials as well as clear naming conventions for easy retrieval and multiple use for other project/locations.

No problem at all. The course is ideal for the objectives you state. Please shout out if there's any aspects (as we proceed over the next 8 weeks) that need further detail for you.

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2018 12:24 am
 Ian
(@ian)
Honorable Member Admin
Posted by: andrewevason

Hi Ian i have been using Revit for several years and like many others have been relying on the families already created.  I am involved in several projects renovating Georgian properties and would like to be able to model the unique windows and doors and the feature surrounds. I am hoping this course will give me this skill set.

Andrew 

Thanks Andrew,

Custom doors and windows no problem. I'll ensure you obtain the skills to produce these.

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2018 12:26 am
 Ian
(@ian)
Honorable Member Admin
Posted by: Michael

I am the unelected BIM Manager for our firm and as such find myself responsible for content that isn't available through traditional channels. We are an AEC firm and are using Revit to design pump stations and treatment plants for water and sewage. (Reclaimed water to be PC about it!) We aren't finding a lot of content for our needs and lots of creation work is going on.  It would be nice to know what we have been doing is correct and to find better, faster, and easier ways to produce content.  Thus I'm enrolled! 

Mike Gardner

Fort Worth, Texas

Many thanks Mike,

Unelected BIM Manager- I meet a lot of people in that role. It's a good one to have- hold onto it!!!

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2018 12:27 am
 Ian
(@ian)
Honorable Member Admin
Posted by: gadi

Hi, I want to be able to build a repetitive set of furniture that I am using in many projects. It Will be nice to have instead of rebuilding in every project with model in place.

Hi,

Yes, if you are using an element repeatedly- it needs to be a component family, rather than being modelled in-place each time.

Many thanks ,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2018 12:29 am
 Ian
(@ian)
Honorable Member Admin
Posted by: Mike LaBelle

Hi Ian,

We have been using Revit for a couple years now and are at 70% Revit and hoping to phase out Autocad entirely (98%) soon.  We are self-taught so we struggle to make families.  Our company is made up of industrial engineers mostly designing biomass energy plants.  We designers have to produce drawings for engineers of Civil, Structural, Mechanical, and Electrical disciplines.  Revit has been a great platform for this, even with piping.  I personally hope that your lessons will include some formula writing while making the family parameters.

I’m looking forward to starting the lessons next week.

Mike

Many thanks Mike,

Yes- we will be covering the use of formula and conditional statements, etc- in the section on parameters.

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2018 12:32 am
 Ian
(@ian)
Honorable Member Admin
Posted by: Steve Ellis

Thanks Ian,

We get involved in a lot of fit out projects with ceiling track hoisting equipment. These need to be really adaptable in terms of different room sizes, weight limits, no. of fixings and track installation heights so really looking forward to creating families we can flex to suit different situations. I'll be pleased to send you some family files across if you want to take a look?  

Looking forward to the course!

Stephen

Thanks Stephen,

Parametric Families sound ideal for the use-case you describe. You could even include a "clearance zone" object in the hoist so that you can run clash detection in the model and check that the hoist can move around the environment adequately?

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2018 12:34 am
 Ian
(@ian)
Honorable Member Admin
Posted by: Mava_riera

Hi Ian

I'm an architect working for a company that installs mobile antennas. We are now starting all the process en revit,  creating different kinds of families as electrical or structural, we are having so many problems such if is a nested family, we can not change some parametric values, we do not how to improve our way to work, sometimes we just spend a lot of time modifying a family but at the end we just change the shape or something in specific, so, it is not working as a family, I don't know if I'm explaining myself in the right way, but I would like to understand better how the families work in revit. We also want to work with BIM.

I want to start the course now, so much to learn... 

Maria Vanessa

Thanks Maria,

Sounds like you have a very specific (and interesting use) of Revit. Please keep me update over the following weeks to let me know if we are covering everything you need to know for these scenarios?

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2018 12:37 am
 Ian
(@ian)
Honorable Member Admin
Posted by: RussellV

Hello Ian,

I have taken all of your courses and very much looking forward to this one also. You have a very brilliant teaching style and I commend your diligence, patience and dedication in preparing such detailed course materials. I also am an instructor  and appreciate your system of condensing the most important aspects of each topic in Revit. Kudos. Congratulations also on your invitation to join Autodesk's Expert Elite Program. You truly deserve it.

Once again thank you for your insightful teaching system and Cheers to you for doing so much for the Revit Community of learners.

Sincerest Regards.

Russell Voisin

Many thanks indeed Russell, for your very kind words and support of the site.

Please let me know as we progress, how you are finding the course and if you need any aspects covering in more detail.

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2018 12:39 am
 Ian
(@ian)
Honorable Member Admin
Posted by: Michael Gleeson

Hi Ian

I am a Plumber by trade and started teaching 18 years ago. Given all the changes that have taken place in industry over the years I find myself needing to update my skills to meet current standard industry practices, Drawing is part of the syllabus for plumbing apprentices and Building Service Engineers that I teach and with BIM being adopted into the construction industry as standard practice I now need to be able to teach Revit MEP.

After completing 85% of your Beginners course (still to finish in the next week) I have found your teaching style and supporting resources extremely beneficial, easy to follow and very  informative.  The Beginners course, has encouraged and given me the appetite to take the next step and complete the Revit Families course. By undertaking the Revit Families course I believe this will further enhance my knowledge and understanding of  Revit. 

Mike G

Many thanks indeed Mike,

So very pleased to hear that you are introducing BIM/Revit into your syllabus. A few local colleges near me still only include basic AutoCAD on the syllabus- which is totally unrealistic in terms of preparing student / apprentices for the tools / environment they'll find in the modern world of work.

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2018 12:44 am
 Ian
(@ipatience)

Greetings!  I enrolled in this course to assist my company (and mainly, myself) in speeding along the production of our construction documents.  I've only been using Revit for about 18 months, have yet to learn how to create families, and every time I need a specific item, I have to disrupt someone else's work flow in order to continue my own.  I view this as very inefficient, and the only thing I can do about it is to educate myself, so, I enrolled in this course.

-Ian Patience

Electrical Designer

Silverman & Light

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/04/2018 7:28 pm Ian liked
 Ian
(@ian)
Honorable Member Admin
Posted by: Ian

Greetings!  I enrolled in this course to assist my company (and mainly, myself) in speeding along the production of our construction documents.  I've only been using Revit for about 18 months, have yet to learn how to create families, and every time I need a specific item, I have to disrupt someone else's work flow in order to continue my own.  I view this as very inefficient, and the only thing I can do about it is to educate myself, so, I enrolled in this course.

-Ian Patience

Electrical Designer

Silverman & Light

Many thanks Ian,

It's great to have you guys in board with this Course.

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/04/2018 11:10 am
Page 3 / 3 Prev
Share: