Time for a Career Change..  

RSS
(@linxchik)
New Member Member

Hello Ian and BIMscape Community

My name is Abi and I have spent the last couple of decades in IT Consultancy and Training.

It has been time well spent as it has given me the opportunity to meet people from all over the world and to live in a few other countries other than England. I decided it was time for a career change but I did not want to wander too far away from working with computers, so friends suggested I dive into CAD. After a little research and talking to the aforementioned friends, it emerged that Revit is the way to go. So, now I have a good excuse to continue to play work with new computer systems and to eventually provide constructive (pardon the pun - I realize it is possibly the oldest one in the industry ) services to the community.

Looking forward to the course and sharing ideas. I would also like to express my thanks for making it available to folks like me!

Thanks and good day to all!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/12/2017 9:50 am Ian liked
 Ian
(@ian)
Honorable Member Admin

Hi Abi,

A very warm welcome to you!

You've made a great choice with learning Revit. In my humble opinion- there's' very little point in learning AutoCAD (or any 2D CAD system) if you're starting from scratch now. And you will have the advantage that you are not hindered by the experience of how another system works. Anyone coming from AutoCAD really has to forget 80% of what they know, when they start with Revit.

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/12/2017 2:36 pm
(@cadslave1989)
New Member Member

Perhaps you would benefit from getting a degree in 'Drafting'; otherwise, the stuff you create won't be readable. Sure. Revit has many wizbang buttons and features but it doesn't make a Revit operator a 'drafter'. Drafters are trained to clearly convey engineers/architects ideas to the owner and contractor. Many software salesmen types believe that operating a software makes them instant experts. Learn to be a drafter first. Please.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2018 4:12 pm Ian liked
 Ian
(@ian)
Honorable Member Admin
Posted by: CADSlave1989

Perhaps you would benefit from getting a degree in 'Drafting'; otherwise, the stuff you create won't be readable. Sure. Revit has many wizbang buttons and features but it doesn't make a Revit operator a 'drafter'. Drafters are trained to clearly convey engineers/architects ideas to the owner and contractor. Many software salesmen types believe that operating a software makes them instant experts. Learn to be a drafter first. Please.

Some very good points here. Revit makes it VERY easy to produce buildings that seem "buildable"- it does not neccessarily mean they are! As they say...."The Devil is in the Detail" It's OK throwing up the walls, floors, roof, etc; into the model- but how do all these materials go together in reality?

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2018 4:26 pm
(@linxchik)
New Member Member

Thanks for the advice and definitely considering the suggestion!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2018 11:28 pm Ian liked
Share: