Maybe a master of manual line and ignoramus of computers  

gianmariabroker
New Member Member

I am a California real estate broker.  I don't practice much but I want to explore the possibility of expanding a residential dwelling or two.  

I am pretty comfortable with the pen and the line drawing.  I have experience in editorial illustration and cartoon animation.  I d say I am better with holding a pen than handling a computer or software of any kind.  I published my first architecture doodles when I was in elementary school in part because of my graphic skills.   

In most cases I presume it d be much easier for me to express ideas with my pen.  Perhaps a BIM support structure of some kind can help me discipline and refine my vocabulary in such a way as to be less confusing to tradespeople as to what I am trying to achieve.

I enrolled in a REVIT course and I got a copy of its 2018 version.  I am not sure how long I can keep it.  I am guessing a year.  

I would like to start by drawing additions to a 3 bedroom, one bath house of 1010 habitable sf and 400 sf garage.  From my understanding of the regs, for now I could build a 200 sf "extra bedroom or room" in the back to give my tenants space somewhat equivalent to what I'd be taking away in the garage, improve the 2-car garage into a master bedroom with a private small bath, add a second main or back up 73 sf bath and laundry area next to it (commonly accessible), then expand the living room which looks into the backyard with a sun room of sorts.  I have a FEMA regulation limit of spending about 50% of the appraised value of the house.  I know my insurance estimates the present structure's replacement cost at $309,000.  I am thinking the remodeled garage could add about 12,000 in value, the bath 25,000, the extra room 30,000, and the sun room 20,000, for a total of $87,000 or so.  I should be then well within my presumed appraisal value of half of the old structure ($100-150k?).

Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2017 1:36 am
Ian
 Ian
Reputable Member Admin

Hi,

A very warm welcome to you. I really hope my Beginners Course can get you up to speed with the basics of Revit and allow you to explore your real estate options. We are here to support you in your learning of the software- please feel free to ask any questions you need to. With the utmost respect, please keep questions focused on BIM / Revit / 3D modelling, etc.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2017 12:53 pm

Working

Please Login or Register