Drafting 30 years, time to transition to BIM  

Willie
(@jwilliamwilcox)

My name is Willie Wilcox, and I have a residential design company.  I've been professionally designing homes for 20+ years, using AutoCAD in other disciplines since 1988.

For many years I would talk with associates who had not learned CAD and were still board drafting, and I always considered them behind the times.  I was recently soliciting business from a home builder, who asked if I could show his clients 3D models during the design process.  I explained that I'm still mainly using 2D AutoCAD, but can generate 3D models for an additional fee.  His response made me realize I had become the guy who was behind the times: "Get back to me when you're using Revit."

Ouch!

Finding time to learn the program well enough to make the transition is proving difficult, but I can't be that guy!

Hoping to one day be as comfortable using Revit as I am using AutoCAD.

Thank you Ian, in advance!

Willie

Edited: 2 weeks  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2018 12:22 am Ian liked
Ian
 Ian
(@ian)
Reputable Member Admin

Hi Willie,

You are spot on- I don't think many peopkle can get away with chargin extra for a 3D moldel nowadays.

Revit is most certainly the way to go. Make that investment in your time NOW. You are looking at 4 to 6 months of daily use to get COMFORTABLE with it- so crack on now- that would be my advice.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why you cannot get to grips with it- it's all to do with HOW it is explained to you.

If you have any questions as you go through the Course, PLEASE just ask.

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2018 9:57 pm

Working

Please Login or Register