Sketch Landings  

danny.h
Active Member Member

Hello!

To set the scene: I am trying to create a stair run from Level 0 to Level 2 in my model, that incorporates a half landing before changing direction. Rather than having the run go straight from Level 0 (0m) to Level 2 (3225m) I created Level 1 (1750m) for the half landing as it is not exactly in the middle between the two levels.

I am having great difficulty in forming a half landing at Level 1. I have tried sketching the whole run from Level 0 to Level 2 and just treating the landing as one big step, but the level on the landing ends up being too low. Therefore I figured the best way is to have two stair runs, one spanning Level 0 - Level 1 and the other Level 1 to Level 2 and then to join the two with a landing. The Pick Two Runs landing tool doesn't seem to work, despite the fact that the two runs share an elevation (One ending at Level 1 and the other starting at Level 1). When I try to sketch a landing inbetween the runs it all goes to pot. I can tweak the landing to the right height by redefining the 'desired stair height' property, but even then it sits awkwardly between the two runs, not forming a tread on the top step of the lower run and not extending to the bottom step of the higher run (as the sketch generates the tread on the line that was used and offsets the step 10mm back).

Hopefully somebody found some logic in these insane ramblings, and if they could offer any guidance I'd be very appreciative.

For the record, I'm creating a Revit model from a Pointcloud.

Thanks!

Danny

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2017 5:02 pm Ian liked
Ian
 Ian
Reputable Member Admin

Hi Danny,

You should be able to do this as one complete "Stairs"- consisting of 2 stair run components and an intermediate landing.

Have you got "Automatic Landings" turned on, on the Options Bar when you are creating the Stairs? You should just be able to click where you want the landing to start and then click again for where you want the next (ie the upper) Run to start- and then Revit will create the intermediate landing for you.

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2017 10:49 am
danny.h
Active Member Member

Hi Ian,

Am I right in thinking this only works if you create the runs in the default mode? I have been drawing reference planes based off of the pointcloud, then sketching the stairs by using the 'Pick Lines' tool. Am I unable to create a landing in this way?

I have been creating my stairs in this way as the exterior supports aren't parallel to the walls of the stairwell.

Cheers,

Danny

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2017 1:50 pm Ian liked
Ian
 Ian
Reputable Member Admin

Hi Danny,

Do you possibly have a screenshot you could post, to help explain the scenario?

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2017 1:54 pm
danny.h
Active Member Member

Hi Ian,

First of all I apologise if this is a bit overkill.

When I create the stairs the usual way [click once for the stair run to start, again for the run to end and the landing is drawn automatically before you click to start the 2nd run] they fall short of my half-landing, as can be seen in this screenshot. Furthermore, as I stated before, the walls of the stairwell and the external supports aren't parallel to one another, so when I draw the stairs in this way it's not representative of what the stairs actually look like, as can be seen here. Whether or not I can then edit this staircase so it meets/doesn't intersect the walls I don't know.

What I tried to do instead, so the shape of the steps and the level on the half landing were correct, was to use the create sketch tool using Ref Planes which I created from the Pointcloud data. First I sketched the staircase altogether, spanning from Level 0 to Level 2, treating the half-landing as just one big step. This produced the same results (level-wise) as the first method, the half-landing was created at too low a level. Then I tried sketching the staircase in two parts, from Level 0 to Level 1, then from Level 1 to Level 2. This worked well with regards to levels: *screenshot*, however I now do not have a half-landing that joins the two runs. I am struggling to draw a landing between these two runs despite the fact that they share a common level (Level 1); should I just create the half-landing as a piece of floor in that case.

Sorry that that was long and rambling. Hopefully the embedded screenshots worked too.

Many Thanks,

Danny

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2017 10:45 am Ian liked
Ian
 Ian
Reputable Member Admin

Hi Danny,

No problem at all! I can;t view the screenshots though as Dropbox is asking me to log in. I think you need to put the images in the "Public" dropbox folder so that anyone can access them.

OK- so I'm going to guess a bit here as I can't see the screenshots.....

You could always create the stairs as components and then change them to stair sketches after- this way you can then adjust the position of the boundary lines- if your stair runs / landings are non-parallel

or...

As you say... sketch them out with the "Stair by Sketch" tool. The secret to doing the landing is to simply have a break in the boundary lines (ie the ones at the SIDES of the stair runs & landings.) If you don't include a break, that is when you get the landing formed as a giant step!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2017 11:07 am
danny.h
Active Member Member

Hi Ian.

I'm having issue with Dropbox, but hopefully I am now able to share these screenshots publicly with the following links:

?dl=0

?dl=0

?dl=0

?dl=0

Thanks for your speedy reply. So how would I be able to turn a stair component into a sketch? Although I'm not sure that would solve the issue as I think creating the stairs in this way results in the half-landing being generated too low.

With regards to the sketch tool, I think that is what I am doing, after trying to sketch it all in one go. I have created two sketches with their own individual boundary lines spanning between the top and bottom steps on the run only, ignoring any landing. This might explain:  ?dl=0 . Now there is no landing and my only thoughts as to how to create one is to draw a floor bounded by the wall of the stairwell and the top/bottom of the two stair runs.

Kind Regards,

Danny

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2017 11:51 am

Working

Please Login or Register