Model in place  

tony wincup
Active Member Member

Hi Ian and every one,

I am tracing over a CAD survey plan of a listed building. There are lots of irregular wall shapes ( splayed window reveals, odd shaped piers and niches) I have been using the model in place and then either voids or extrusions. However i can not find a way to join the two ( the plaster on the main wall runs behind my extrusion). This probably is not the way you would tackle theses oddities, any tips on best method please

Cheers Tony

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2017 6:18 pm Ian liked
Ian
 Ian
Reputable Member Admin

Hi Tony,

How did you get on with this?

Have you tried the "Join Geometry" tool?

Just how irregular are the walls / features in the CAD plan? Is it possible to build up your model with regular walls and supplement them with custom objects- ie for the piers, etc?

WIth regards piers / buttresses on walls- you can automatically embed an "Architectural" column into a wall and the wall will wrap around it, forming (in effect) a pier.

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/06/2017 9:46 am
tony wincup
Active Member Member

Hi Ian,

Thanks for reply.

Maybe i should quickly explain who i am and what it is  i am doing, so you understand where  my questions are coming from!

I am a builder who is in the process of trying to change career path. 

I have worked for a local architect for years and he was always impressed with my sketches on a lump of wood whenever there was a problem on the job!

Several years back he said that i would make the ideal person to work up his drawings in the office, but nothing ever came from it. So i  decided to teach myself, i went to night school and passed a couple of AutoCad courses, then got hold of a student version of Auto cad Architecture. Taught myself to use that until i got the 2015 Building Suite and moved onto learning Revit. That was when i stumbled on your web site and first contacted you.

My last actual building project was an extension on a barn and the architect asked me if i would like to work up his scheme and produce the drawings, he was very impressed and now i am doing more for him, though working from home.  This listed building i mentioned with the odd wall details is testing me a bit, i haven't really used the join geometry tool properly, other than just clicking on it to see what happens! I have mostly learnt from Auto Cad manuals and You Tube up until now. 

I'm  thinking maybe i should purchase your Ultimate Guide to Revit Walls, which i'm sure will be a massive help and hopefully help with at least some of the problems on the listed building project, rather than keep bombarding you with questions!

Hopefully things keep progressing  and i look forward to learning more and more, your support is greatly appreciated.

Cheers mate,    Tony

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/06/2017 5:09 pm
Ian
 Ian
Reputable Member Admin

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for that post- it's great to know the context you are coming from.

I wouldn't rush into buying the Walls Course just now. I'm not sure (from what you've just typed) that this is necessarily what 'you' need right at this point in time. Not to do myself out of a sale- but I'd rather people purchase what they actually need at any given time.

And keep the questions coming!!!! That's what the Forum is here for. This is my full time job- so I'm here to help.

There is an Intermediate and Advanced Revit Course in the planning stages- you may be interested in those at some point. I'm going to be releasing the Itinerary for the Intermediate Course in the next few weeks- and it's going to be a BIG one!

Thanks once again,

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/06/2017 5:30 pm
tony wincup
Active Member Member

Hi Ian,

Thank you for taking the time to consider what i would actually benefit from, most people would make the sale irrespective.

I will hold off at this stage as you suggest and am looking forward to your upcoming courses.

I think your right, that learning should be structured , rather than watching a random mix of basic and advanced techniques on You Tube!

I'm pretty sure your honesty will pay off in the long term, and yes you can be sure that there will be questions coming your way!

Thanks again, appreciate it

Cheers  Tony

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2017 8:18 am
Ian
 Ian
Reputable Member Admin

Many thanks indeed Tony,

It's absolutely crucial to me that people enjoy their time here on the site and come here with the confidence and trust that they will be helped in the most appropriate way. That way, everyone wins.

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2017 9:35 am

Working

Please Login or Register