Architectural Lighting Design  

rosabim
New Member Member

Hi Ian,

I'm an architectural lighting designer and I have decided to teach myself how to use Revit to mainly do lighting plan layouts, ideally indoor and outdoor. Typically my layouts will be in the ceiling but there can be instances where I will have wall mounted fixtures (surface or recessed). There might also be times where fixtures can be integrated to furniture, like a typical kitchen under cabinet. 

I don't know much about Revit, but have been using AutoCAD for almost 10 years now. I came across your course and I thought it would be good to learn the basics. Right now I just covered up to the module 3.7 and I'm enjoying it. I have a few questions for you:

1. Do you think it will be worth for me to go through this whole guide to learn the basics of Revit?

2. Do you think with this I will be able to do simple lighting layouts light fixture families provided by lighting manufacturers?

3. Any chance you share the revit models that you show in your course so I can practice what you show in the tutorial?

I did found a sample model provided by revit, but I'm not sure if that will confuse me more.

Anyway, any insight, thoughts, comments or words of advice you may have, they are very much welcomed.

Thanks,

Rosa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2017 8:57 pm steven meager liked
steven meager
New Member Member

Hi Rosa

Sorry for butting in, I am an electrical design engineer and have similar duties regarding the lighting design internally and externally. Similarly, i have been using Auto Cad and would like to move to Revit to provide my clients with fully coordinated electrical and mechanical designs (Lighting being a big focus). 

I have nearly completed the whole course and am finding it so useful as each tutorial explains all to commands and how to manage your information. I find I can use all the knowledge and relate it to my electrical design especially unit 6 and onwards.  

If you have time I would suggest completing the whole course, you won't regret it.

Sorry again, butting in, maybe Ian will give you some better advice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2017 10:42 am Ian liked
rosabim
New Member Member

Hi Steven!

Thank you so much for your insight.  This is great. Lucky me I do have some time in my hands now but do want to invest it wisely. I had the same hunch as you and I will certainly complete the course!!

All best,

Rosa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2017 2:28 pm steven meager and Ian liked
Ian
 Ian
Reputable Member Admin
Posted by: rosabim

Hi Ian,

I'm an architectural lighting designer and I have decided to teach myself how to use Revit to mainly do lighting plan layouts, ideally indoor and outdoor. Typically my layouts will be in the ceiling but there can be instances where I will have wall mounted fixtures (surface or recessed). There might also be times where fixtures can be integrated to furniture, like a typical kitchen under cabinet. 

I don't know much about Revit, but have been using AutoCAD for almost 10 years now. I came across your course and I thought it would be good to learn the basics. Right now I just covered up to the module 3.7 and I'm enjoying it. I have a few questions for you:

1. Do you think it will be worth for me to go through this whole guide to learn the basics of Revit?

2. Do you think with this I will be able to do simple lighting layouts light fixture families provided by lighting manufacturers?

3. Any chance you share the revit models that you show in your course so I can practice what you show in the tutorial?

I did found a sample model provided by revit, but I'm not sure if that will confuse me more.

Anyway, any insight, thoughts, comments or words of advice you may have, they are very much welcomed.

Thanks,

Rosa

Hi Rosa,

So pleased you have found us!

To go through your questions:-

1) I would say you would benefit from the vast majority of the course- maybe skip modelling stairs, roofs, etc. It depends on whether you are going to be receiving building models in Revit format- or do you have to build a basic model in which to then create your elements?

2) ABSOLUTELY: There's a dedicated Unit on exactly this- "Putting fixtures into Ceilings"

3) I'm working on a Premium version of the Beginners Course- which will hopefully include an Exercise Workbook (including files). Hopefully I'll be able to get more news out on this soon.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/07/2017 12:20 pm steven meager liked
Ian
 Ian
Reputable Member Admin
Posted by: steven meager

Hi Rosa

Sorry for butting in, I am an electrical design engineer and have similar duties regarding the lighting design internally and externally. Similarly, i have been using Auto Cad and would like to move to Revit to provide my clients with fully coordinated electrical and mechanical designs (Lighting being a big focus). 

I have nearly completed the whole course and am finding it so useful as each tutorial explains all to commands and how to manage your information. I find I can use all the knowledge and relate it to my electrical design especially unit 6 and onwards.  

If you have time I would suggest completing the whole course, you won't regret it.

Sorry again, butting in, maybe Ian will give you some better advice.

Thanks Steven,

No, I can't offer any better advice than that- it seems great advice to me! 

Cheers,

Ian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/07/2017 12:22 pm steven meager liked

Working

Please Login or Register